Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jerusalem 2 -stroke, (Donkey at rest) , 2010, Acrylic on paper, 8 x 12 ins.

'Jerusalem 2 stroke ' Acrylic on paper, 8 x 12 ins,   (Jerusalem 2 stroke is the nicname given to donkeys by farmers in Ireland - relating to its slow 'engine' speed and biblical origins)
Here is my contribution to the Scottish mental health's 'How to paint a Donkey' based on the poem by Arab/American poet Naomi Shihab Nye

organised by Louise Greig, a book of Donkey paintings is forthcoming -















How to paint a Donkey

By Naomi Shihab Nye



She said the head was too large

the hooves too small



I could clean my paintbrush

but I couldn't get rid of that voice



while they watched

I crumpled him



let his blue body

stain my hand



I cried when he hit the can

She smiled. I could try again,



maybe this is what I unfold in the dark

deciding for the rest of my life



That Donkey was just the right size.

No comments: