Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jerusalem 2 -stroke, (Donkey at rest) , 2010, Acrylic on paper, 8 x 12 ins.

'Jerusalem 2 stroke ' Acrylic on paper, 8 x 12 ins,   (Jerusalem 2 stroke is the nicname given to donkeys by farmers in Ireland - relating to its slow 'engine' speed and biblical origins)
Here is my contribution to the Scottish mental health's 'How to paint a Donkey' based on the poem by Arab/American poet Naomi Shihab Nye

organised by Louise Greig, a book of Donkey paintings is forthcoming -















How to paint a Donkey

By Naomi Shihab Nye



She said the head was too large

the hooves too small



I could clean my paintbrush

but I couldn't get rid of that voice



while they watched

I crumpled him



let his blue body

stain my hand



I cried when he hit the can

She smiled. I could try again,



maybe this is what I unfold in the dark

deciding for the rest of my life



That Donkey was just the right size.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alzheimer's is a brain disease that mainly affect the people of over 65 years old. This disease mainly cause memory loss, behavior change, and difficulty in thinking. Stem cell therapy is the best treatment for this disease. Best Alzheimer's treatment

SEO Expert said...

أقر الكونجرس بالإجماع قانون مشروع الزهايمر الوطني ، الذي أعلن هدف الوقاية من أمل جديد في علاج مرض الزهايمر أو علاجه بفعالية بحلول عام 2025. ولتحقيق ذلك ، تم زيادة التمويل. من المتوقع أن تمول المعاهد الوطنية للصحة 586 مليون دولار من الأبحاث في عام 2015